31 March 2005

One more reason there is something wrong with Americans.

Current mood: uncomfortable

Again I have to ask myself, "Are you kidding me?"

This is quoted from an article I read in National Geographic earlier this week.

"According to a Gallup poll drawn from more than a thousand telephone interviews conducted in February 2001, no less than 45 percent of responding U.S. adults agreed that 'God created human beings pretty much in their present form at one time within the last 10,000 years or so.' Evolution, by their lights, played no role in shaping us.

"Only 37 percent of the polled Americans were satisfied with allowing room for both God and Darwin—that is, divine initiative to get things started, evolution as the creative means. (This view, according to more than one papal pronouncement, is compatible with Roman Catholic dogma.) Still fewer Americans, only 12 percent, believed that humans evolved from other life-forms without any involvement of a god."

Did you read that last line? 12% - 12% - 12% - 12% ! ! ! !

Really? That means an overwhelming 88% of the population of this country, not only believes in God, but believes He had a hand in shaping us, as humans, to become what we are today.

Now - admitedly, I have been known to be a bit on the religious side in my past - Mike will attest to that. A point I would like to emphasize, however, is the more I have matured and learned about life - the more I have realized how blinded to reality one has to be in order to believe in a Christian or other popular notion of what is God.

The same thing applies to politics. I hear neo-cons repeatedly talk about the liberalism of Higher Ed. If an idea is construed as being leftist - it must have come from the college hippies. Again - I will touch on, briefly, one idea - of course higher education breeds liberalism. They are MORE HIGHLY EDUCATED. How a neo-con can receive a PhD. and not regret their collegiate life is beyond me.

OK - that is all for now. I will expand on this when I get more time. I need to go make dinner for my wife.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home